Sunday 16 June 2013

THE JOURNEY AHEAD (A POEM)

I remember when I was young,
Nothing did I do but played and  ate.
Gathering we always had a song,
And scuttled around under the sleet.
At the wall geckos we threw mold sand,
and were elated when one landed.

The nights then seemed long,
Since I slept uncomfortably on a seat.
I accepted it though, because I was young,
And for that mum gave me meat.
She took me by, holding my hand;
If there was an occasion to attend.

African child,poem,youth,success,growing up,society, Africa, crimes,scam,drugs,solution


Hardly did I know it would not be long,
For I have to achieve my own feat,
As none would wish for my being forever young.
Having me by his side on a seat;
"Your destiny", dad always said,
"Lies in your hand".

I now see myself as a thong,
Being purged by the heat.
For this future that to me seemed long,
Soonest i will meet.
I therefore must have myself well armed,
For uneasy lies the journey ahead.

1 comment:

  1. I had a wonderful experience growing up in the countryside.

    ReplyDelete